Should You Be Concerned About Smart Home Hacking In Miami?
In many ways, smart devices like surveillance equipment and video doorbells have boosted our home security. We can receive notifications whenever someone comes up our front steps, and we can have video segments sent to us when questionable activity is detected. Having implements we can communicate with over the internet warns us of prospective hazards instantly. But there is one main drawback. The quick access we enjoy is also opening a door online invasions.
Even though you shouldn’t lose sleep worrying about smart home hacking in Miami, you need to be aware of the potential safety issue and take action to avoid it.
Methods To Protect Yourself From Smart Home Hacking
Practically anything may be connected to the internet nowadays - your home defense components, light bulbs, and even your refrigerator. This also produces more pathways for virtual villains to break into your network. That doesn't mean you have to eschew wireless home defense systems or other smart devices. Instead, consider these recommendations and do your part to keep intruders out of your network.
- Create hard-to-crack passwords: This is a must for all accounts, including your home Wi-Fi. Use upper and lower casing and a mix of numbers, letters, and special characters. Stay away from birth dates, full words, or other options hackers may easily determine. A password generator will supply you with something absolutely random and a password manager will aid you in keeping tabs on your different accounts and passwords.
- Avoid default settings: When setting up a new router, chances are it will come with a preset password to facilitate the setup. Adjust it immediately. Hackers are likely to know these default settings as well. Configuring your Wi-Fi network and router properly from day one will go a long way to keeping you secure.
- Set up a separate network: Why have your smart fridge, your home security components, and your home computer on the same network? Most routers will let you create a separate guest network. Take advantage of it and shield important information present on your desktop, laptop, and phone.
- Install a firewall: Firewalls aren’t just for businesses. They might also be used on personal network. Firewalls are able to keep an eye on what’s happening on your network and thwart suspect activity. You could start with a router that offers an incorporated firewall.
- Use the latest encryption standards and security protocols: If you’re using a new router, you may have the ability to incorporate WPA3, the current wireless security protocol. If that’s not available, WPA2 with AES encryption will do the job. You should find home security components that protect with 128-bit or higher.
- Make sure firmware and software is updated: Keep your software and firmware up to date for all components, which includes your networked surveillance units. In some cases, these updates will patch known issues and bolster your network’s security.
Beware of Cheap Smart Home Components In Miami
Respected brands like ADT and Google have their reputation to uphold and are more likely to rectify a security bug in their devices. Other knock-off products might not be quite as diligent. Buying your video cameras, smart thermostat, video doorbell, and additional smart devices from one reputable company like ADT is a wise choice. And having all of your equipment hooked up at the same time will help ensure flawless configuration, performance, and security. It’s also worthwhile to point out that ADT Command, your centralized touchscreen, utilizes two-way encryption when communicating with your smart devices.
Design Your Own Miami Wireless Home Security Package
Now that you have a greater understanding on how to keep your home network safe from cyber criminals, it’s time to get started on your own home defense system in Miami. The security specialists at Secure24 Alarm Systems are ready to customize the right package for your home. Call (305) 563-8665 or complete the form to upgrade your home’s protection.